“Me and my nutrition team have worked hard to create these super-nutritious balanced flavour-packed energy balls that give us the perfect snack boost to get us through the day – enjoy two balls per snack. ”
- 70 g pumpkin seeds
- 20 g puffed brown rice or puffed quinoa
- 50 g whole almonds
- 80 g Medjool dates
- 1 cm piece of fresh turmeric or ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 heaped teaspoon quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon manuka honey
- 1 orange
- Blitz 40g of the pumpkin seeds into a fine dust in a food processor, then decant onto a plate.
- Place the remaining pumpkin seeds and the puffed rice or quinoa in the processor with the almonds and dates (destone first), then blitz until finely chopped.
- Peel and finely grate in the turmeric, if using fresh, or add the ground turmeric, along with the cinnamon, cocoa powder and a pinch of sea salt.
- Blitz again until finely ground, then add the vanilla, honey and half the orange juice.
- Blitz for another 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides a couple of times, and adding an extra squeeze of orange juice to bind, only if needed – it takes a while for the mixture to come together, so be patient and let the processor work its magic.
- With wet hands, divide into 24 and roll into balls, dropping them into the pumpkin seed dust as you go.
- Shake to coat, storing them in the excess dust until needed. They’ll keep happily for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
Medjool dates have the double benefit of being high in both fibre and chloride, a nutrient that helps our digestion, and we get a hit of copper from the pumpkin seeds.
Source: Jamie Oliver