- 1 vanilla pod
- 150 ml double cream
- 150 ml single cream
- 4 large free-range egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons golden caster sugar , plus extra for sprinkling
- 100 g raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC/gas 3.
- Split the vanilla pod lengthways and add to a pan with the creams. Heat over a low heat to just below boiling.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar, then add in the hot cream, whisking all the time to make a custard. When combined, strain through a sieve into a jug.
- Boil a kettle of water. Divide the berries between four small ovenproof ramekins, then fill each with the custard.
- Place the ramekins in a small roasting tray and carefully pour in hot water until it comes halfway up the sides of the dishes. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes, till the tops form a slight crust.
- Remove from oven, cool, then cover each ramekin with clingfilm and refrigerate overnight.
- Sprinkle a fine covering of sugar over the custards and carefully use a blowtorch to burn the top. Alternatively, place under a hot grill until the sugar bubbles – watch them carefully.
- Allow to stand so the burnt sugar hardens, then return to the fridge and chill until needed.
Source: Jamie Oliver