“This is the perfect Valentine’s day dessert as it’s straightforward to make, but has real wow-factor. ”
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 1 stick of cinnamon (or cloves, allspice, star anise or a combination)
- 200 g granulated sugar
- 2 pears
- double cream , to serve
- Place the peeled zest and juice from the lemon and orange into a saucepan, just large enough to hold the pears.
- Add the cinnamon and sugar, pour in 500ml of water and bring to the boil. Cook until the sugar dissolves.
- Peel the pears, then once the sugar has dissolved, reduce the heat and lower the pears into the syrup.
- Simmer gently for 10 to 12 minutes, or until tender, then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Serve the pears with double cream and 4 tablespoons of poaching liquid per person.
Source: Jamie Oliver