“Buttery toasted muffins, silky eggs and salmon… what could be better to start the day? ”
- 4 large free-range eggs , preferably free-range or organic
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 muffins , halved
- 20 g butter , plus a little extra
- 8 slices smoked salmon , from sustainable sources, ask your fishmonger
- 140 ml soured cream
- 1 small bunch fresh chives , finely chopped
- 1 lemon , quartered
- Serve this dish for a classy breakfast or brunch.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, whisk them lightly and season them with salt and pepper. Put your muffins in the toaster, ready for action. Melt half the butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat until bubbling, then tip the eggs in. Stir continuously with a wooden spoon, getting right into the edges. Cook until the runny egg starts to thicken.
- Turn the heat off when the eggs are still slightly undercooked – they will keep on cooking in the warm pan while you’re toasting and buttering your muffins. Stir the rest of the butter into the eggs. Place the buttered muffin halves on individual plates and cover each one with a spoonful of scrambled egg. Drape a slice of salmon over each muffin half, dollop some soured cream on top and sprinkle with chopped chives and a twist of black pepper.
- Serve with your lemon wedges and a nice cup of tea – or a glass of something fizzy.
- Tip: To make things easier, toast your muffins first and keep them warm in the oven.
Source: Jamie Oliver