I’m going to introduce you to Korean style fruit salad which is very simple and easy to make! This cold, sweet, crispy and nutty salad has a real unique flavor and set of textures. When you chew a spoonful it will please your mouth totally, especially when you break the peanuts!
This is a salad we usually make in Korea around the time of the Chuseok holidays, because many of the ingredients are in season at that time, in fall. But this salad is good any time of year and one of the best things about it is that you can make it ahead of time and it won’t get soggy or lose it’s flavor! Just make it one day in advance and keep it in the refrigerator. Even though it’s made from fruits it’s not a dessert, it goes well as a side dish to big dishes like bulgogi or galbi.
Anybody who tastes this for the first time will just love the flavor! I hope you try out the recipe and enjoy it!
- ½ English cucumber (or any seedless cucumber), cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 3/4 to 1 cup)
- 8 large seedless green grapes
- ¼ cup raisins (or dried cranberries)
- 1 to 2 crispy Fuyu persimmon, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 1 cup)
- ½ Korean pear or any crisp, juicy pear, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 medium Fuji apple or any crisp apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (1 cup)
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs
- ¼ cup lightly salted or unsalted roasted peanuts
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- Combine the cucumber, grapes, raisins (or dried cranberries), persimmon, pear, apple, and peanuts in a large bowl. Cut one of the eggs into quarters and add to the bowl.
- Separate the white and yolk of the other egg. Set aside the yolk, put the white into bowl, and gently break it into chunks with a spoon.
- Add the mayonnaise and mustard and, using a spoon, mix together the ingredients. You can serve it right away or refrigerate up to 24 hours. If you serve it right away, transfer the mixture to a serving bowl. Press the egg yolk through a mesh strainer over the salad and serve.
- If you like to serve it later, transfer the mixture to an airtight container and refrigerate it. Put the egg yolk in a small container and refrigerate. When you’re ready to serve, transfer the mixture to a serving bowl or plate and push the egg yolk through a mesh strainer over the salad, and serve.