- 4 medium pears
- 10 cardamom pods
- 320 g caster sugar
- ½ a vanilla pod
- 100 mg saffron
- 1 small stick of cinnamon
- Peel the pears, leaving the stalk intact. Crush the cardamom pods.
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan with 1 litre of water, bring to a simmer and gently poach the pears for about 2 hours or until tender. Remove from the heat, allow to cool, then refrigerate overnight to steep.
- Before serving, remove the pears and set aside to bring to room temperature.
- Boil the syrup until reduced to a sticky glaze, about 250ml. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of saffron glaze over the pears, then serve with ice cream or cream.
Source: Jamie Oliver