“This beautiful-looking beetroot salad tastes really fresh and is so easy to put together ”
- 4 raw baby beetroot , scrubbed clean
- ½ lemon , juice of
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- quality balsamic vinegar
- 200 g good-quality smoked salmon , from sustainable sources, ask your fishmonger
- 35 g watercress , washed and spun-dry
- 2 cm piece fresh horseradish , peeled
- 1 loaf granary bread , to serve
- I love this combination of flavours – it’s really simple, so fresh and works every time. It takes just minutes to put together yet it looks amazing on the plate which is always a bonus. It’s perfect for a quick lunch with friends.
- Using a speed peeler, shave the beetroot into a bowl. Add the lemon juice, a small pinch of salt and pepper, a good lug of extra virgin olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar then mix everything together.
Arrange the smoked salmon in waves over a large platter. Scatter over the watercress, followed by the beetroot slices, leaving any juices behind in the bowl. Finely grate the horseradish evenly over the beetroot then spoon the juices from the beetroot over the top. Sprinkle with an extra pinch of pepper then finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and let everyone tuck in. Serve with a lovely fresh loaf of granary bread on the side.
Source: Jamie Oliver