- 200 g sushi rice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 sheets of nori
- ¼ of a cucumber
- ¼ of a red pepper
- ½ a carrot
- ½ a small ripe avocado
- Put the rice in a small saucepan with 375ml water, leave to soak for 30 minutes, then bring to the boil.
- Put the lid on and simmer gently for 10 minutes, until the water has been absorbed by the rice.
- In a bowl, dissolve the sugar in the vinegar, then sprinkle over the rice mix, combining with a rubber spatula so as not to break up the rice.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes before using.
- Deseed or peel the vegetables, then cut into fine strips or batons.
- Place a sheet of nori on a bamboo sushi mat, then spread half the rice over the sheet except for 1cm clear at the top.
- Add some vegetables in a horizontal line across the rice.
- Begin rolling the mat from the near edge, keeping the filling in place with your fingers. Roll firmly but not too hard.
- Remove the roll from the mat and cut into 6 or 8 pieces. Repeat with second piece of nori.
To make a California roll, cover a sheet of nori with the sushi rice, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, then carefully turn the sheet of nori
and rice over onto the sushi mat so the rice is on the bottom and nori on top. Add any combination of fillings, roll and chop as before.
Source: Jamie Oliver