“A delicious, healthy muesli you can make the night before ”
- 100 g oats
- 2 tablespoons white chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 350 ml milk , of your choice (I use almond or coconut)
- maple syrup , to taste
- 1 dash of all-natural vanilla extract
- 1 lemon
- 2 ripe pears
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 small handful of dried sour cherries , or cranberries
- The night before, put the oats, chia seeds and pumpkin seeds into a bowl or container, pour over the milk, and add the maple syrup, vanilla and a squeeze of lemon juice. Mix well, then cover and pop into the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, chop the pears into little chunks, sprinkle over the cinnamon and add the sour cherries. Either layer them up with the oats and seeds in a glass or bowl, or just run out of the door with everything in a little container.
Chia seeds give a rich creaminess – if you don’t want to add chia, just don’t add as much milk. These amazing little seeds boost the nutritional value of the breakfast tenfold. They look a bit like poppy seeds and come in a variety of colours: black, white and grey. I use the white ones here. Chia seeds were the food of choice of Aztec and Mayan warriors, and a single tablespoon would keep them going for 24 hours. They are high in protein, so they’re perfect for breakfast time. You can also use them in smoothies and baking.
Source: Jamie Oliver