“A brilliant way to use leftover turkey after Christmas – beats turkey sarnies any day of the week! ”
- 2 large handfuls of brown turkey meat
- 1 large handful of cashew nuts
- 1 handful of dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 bunch of fresh mint
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander
- 4 large handfuls of mixed salad leaves , such as chicory, rocket, spinach, watercress
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- 1 clementine
- ½ a red onion
- 1 lime
- 1 pomegranate
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 5 cm piece of ginger
- Shred the brown turkey meat into thin strips using your fingers and put it into a dry pan over a medium heat.
- Add the cashew nuts, dried cranberries and Chinese five-spice, give it all a good stir, then let it toast away while you get on with your salad, shaking the pan occasionally to stop it from catching.
- Pick the mint and most of the coriander leaves into a bowl, then add the salad leaves and toss together.
- For the dressing, peel, finely grate and add the onion to a small bowl.
- Squeeze in the clementine and lime juice, then halve the pomegranate and squeeze half through your fingers to catch any seeds. Pour in three times as much extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the soy sauce and sesame oil. Peel and coarsely grate the ginger, then squeeze all the juice into the bowl, discarding the pulp.
- Give the dressing a good stir, and have a taste – if you want a little more salt, add a splash more soy. If you want more acid, add another squeeze of lime juice.
- Drizzle over enough dressing to coat the salad leaves, then use your hands to toss and dress them. Deseed and finely chop the chilli.
- Drizzle the honey into the pan with the turkey meat and stir through until coated. Turn the heat up to full whack for the last few seconds to really crisp up the meat mixture.
- At this point, make sure your guests are all at the table and ready to eat so you can serve the salad as soon as the hot meat hits the salad leaves. Toss half of the pan-fried ingredients through the salad leaves and transfer to a serving platter.
- Spoon the remaining nuts, cranberries and crispy meat over the top of the salad and add another drizzle of dressing.
- Hold the remaining pomegranate half over the salad and gently smack it with a wooden spoon so that the seeds tumble out over the salad.
- Garnish with a nice sprinkling of fresh red chilli, and the remaining coriander leaves and serve right away.
Source: Jamie Oliver