“My posh, new take on retro party pineapple and cheese sticks look great and are unbelievably easy ”
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds , crushed
- 1 pinch finely grated nutmeg
- 2 cloves , crushed
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- olive oil
- 3 x 125 g buffalo mozzarella balls
- 1 fresh red chilli , sliced
- a few fresh basil leaves
- Have your chunks of mozzarella ready to go, so you can skewer them with the pieces of the hot squash as soon as it comes out of the oven – then at least the first people who taste them can enjoy the contrast of hot and cold.
- Make sure the chunks for the mozzarella & squash skewers aren’t too big – you want people to be able to eat them while standing around.
- Heat your oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6. Chop the squash in half and scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon. Slice each half lengthways into 4 wedges and place in a bowl.
- Sprinkle over the chilli, coriander, nutmeg and cloves and a little salt and pepper. Toss with the sage leaves and a splash of oil, place on a roasting tray, then roast for 40 minutes or until softened, cooked through and lightly browned.
- Carefully cut the squash into large cubes, cutting away the skin, and tear the mozzarella up into similar-sized pieces. Thread a cocktail stick through a ring of chilli, then through a basil leaf folded in half, then through a piece of mozzarella and then finally into a chunk of squash. Repeat until all the bits of squash and mozzarella are used up, then drizzle with olive oil before serving.
Source: Jamie Oliver