“Brighten up a dull winter day with this bright and fresh delicious winter salad ”
- ½ clove garlic , peeled
- 3 anchovies
- 200 ml fat-free natural yoghurt
- 1 lemon , finely grated zest of
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ½ small loaf of rustic bread
- 2 lugs olive oil
- 4 little gem lettuces
- 2 handfuls watercress
- 1 bulb fennel
- 250 g halloumi cheese , cut into 12 slices
- 1 pomegranate
- For the dressing, pound together or finely chop the garlic and anchovies. Mix in the yoghurt, then the zest and juice of the lemon, and season to taste with freshly ground black pepper. Simple!
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6. Tear the bread into rough pieces of about an inch or so and scatter into a roasting tin. Drizzle the bread with a little olive oil then toss with a good pinch of sea salt and bake for 10 minutes or until crunchy.
- Trim the bottoms of the little gems then break up each one, keeping the leaves whole. Give the watercress and lettuce leaves a quick wash, then dry in a salad spinner and lay on a large serving plate. Cut the top off the fennel and hang on to the feathery parts. Trim the bottom of the bulb and discard the scruffy outer leaves. Cut the bulb in half and slice as thinly as possible from the root to the tip, then add to the rest of the leaves. Next, fry the slices of halloumi on both sides in a little olive oil until golden, then drain on kitchen paper. Add the halloumi and croutons to the serving plate. Season, give the whole lot a gentle toss, then drizzle over the yoghurt dressing. Chop the fennel tops and bash the pomegranate to get the seeds out, then scatter the fennel and seeds over the salad.
Source: Jamie Oliver