“This is the ultimate gluten- and dairy-free lemon sponge cake. With citrus icing drizzled on top, you’re guaranteed to love it. ”
- 300 g dairy-free margarine (suitable for baking, at room temperature)
- 300 g gluten-free plain flour , plus extra for dusting
- 300 g golden caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 3 lemons
- 2 oranges
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 100 g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Grease a 20cm square cake tin with the margarine, then line the bottom with greaseproof paper and dust the sides with gluten-free flour.
- In a bowl, beat the margarine and sugar for around 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Crack in the eggs, finely grate and add the zest from 2 lemons and 1 orange, then mix to combine.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and xanthan gum into the bowl, then fold through. Stir in the juice from 1 lemon and ½ an orange until you have a nice, smooth mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin, smooth out to the edges, then place on the middle shelf of the hot oven for 35 minutes, or until golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes, before turning the cake out onto a wire cooling rack, then leave to cool completely while you make the icing.
- Combine the icing sugar with the zest and juice from ½ a lemon and ¼ of an orange. Once the cake has cooled, drizzle the icing on top, grate over a little lemon and orange zest, then serve.
To make lemon drizzle cupcakes, simple divide the mixture between two 12-hole muffin trays and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
Find more gluten-free recipes
Source: Jamie Oliver