“It’s not hard to make this from scratch, just pick up a few bottles of decent scrumpy and give this a try. ”
- 2 litres good-quality traditional cider
- 6 cloves
- 3-4 star anise
- ¼ nutmeg , finely grated into the pan
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla pod , halved
- 1 orange , juice of
- 2 clementines , juice of
- 1 pomegranate , juice and seeds of
- 4–5 tablespoons caster sugar
- Pour the cider into a large pan on a low heat and let it warm through for a few minutes. Add all the spices and juices and turn the heat up. Once boiling, turn down to a simmer and leave to tick away for 5–8 minutes.
- As everything infuses you’ll get delicious layers of flavour. Taste it and add sugar as you like. You don’t want it sweet; you just want the sugar to join the spices in a harmonious taste. When you’re happy with the flavours, ladle into glasses or mugs and serve warm.
Source: Jamie Oliver