“This is my dressed-up version of a good old kebab – beautiful roast pork, sweet onions, crispy crackling and all the extra trimmings – people go mad for it! Simply whack all the elements in the middle of the table and let everyone build their own – it’s a guaranteed crowd pleaser. ”
- 1 x 3 kg higher-welfare boneless pork loin , untied and skin removed
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- olive oil
- 6 red onions
- 150 ml pomegranate molasses
- 150 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 iceberg lettuce
- 6 ripe beef tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 bunch of fresh mint
- 32 medium corn tortillas
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 x 500 ml tub fat-free natural yoghurt
- 4 lemons
- 1 x 300 g jar of pickled chillies
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/427°F/gas 7. Take the pork out of the fridge and allow to come up to room temperature.
- Using a sharp knife, score both the pork fat and skin at 2cm intervals in a criss-cross pattern. Season both with a good pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then rub over the fennel seeds and a drizzle of oil.
- Peel and finely slice the onions, then place into a large roasting tray (roughly 30cm x 40cm). Stir in the molasses, vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper, then place the pork loin on top.
- Put the tray on the middle shelf of the hot oven, then place the skin directly onto the top shelf – the fat will drip down onto the meat to make it even juicier. Cook, stirring halfway, for around 1 hour 20 minutes, or until the pork is cooked through, the crackling is golden and puffed up, and the onions are soft and sweet. Check on the crackling after about 1 hour – if it’s done, remove to a board.
- Meanwhile, shred the lettuce, finely slice the tomatoes, roughly chop the cucumber and pick the mint leaves.
- Remove the pork to a board to rest, then use a slotted spoon to transfer the dark jammy onions to a small bowl.
- Preheat a griddle pan over a high heat and start griddling the tortilla wraps until each one is bar-marked and warmed through, turning halfway.
- Snap the crackling into pieces, then carve up the pork and place all the elements onto a large board or serving platter.
- Halve the pomegranate, then hold one half in your palm cut-side down over the platter, then bash with the back of a spoon so the seeds tumble out.
- Cut the lemons in half and drain the pickled chillies.
- Serve the platter with the tortillas, yoghurt, lemon wedges and pickled chillies on the side, then let everyone build their own beautiful kebab.
Source: Jamie Oliver