“Once you’ve mastered the basic porridge recipe, get creative and add your favourite toppings. Think fruit, toasted nuts and honey – the options are endless! Check out some of our favourite combos below… ”
- BASE RECIPE
- 160 g rolled porridge oats
- 600 ml milk, organic soya milk or water
- Place the oats and the milk or water in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add a tiny pinch of sea salt and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Bring to a steady simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring as often as you can to give you a smooth creamy porridge – if you like your porridge runnier, simply add a splash more milk or water until you’ve got the consistency you like.
- Jazz up your porridge with your favourite combo of fresh fruit, nuts and seeds, sweetening to taste – see below for inspiration.
Blackberry and apple porridge
Stir through coarsely grated apple (core and all) and runny honey, then squash in a handful of blackberries. Top with more fruit and a drizzle of syrup.
Banana, almond and cinnamon porridge
Stir in a generous pinch of ground cinnamon, some poppy seeds and maple syrup. Top with sliced banana and a handful of toasted almonds.
Apple, maple syrup and pecan porridge
Stir through coarsely grated apple (core and all) and maple syrup, then top with a handful of toasted pecans and a drizzle more syrup.
Source: Jamie Oliver