“You can’t beat a classic Victoria sandwich – it’s simple but elegant, and will never fail to please its recipients. Beautiful! ”
- 250 g unsalted butter , (at room temperature), plus extra for greasing
- 250 g golden caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 250 g self-raising flour , plus extra for dusting
- ½ a vanilla pod
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar , plus extra for dusting
- 100 ml double cream
- 4 tablespoons quality raspberry jam
- 100 g fresh raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas 3. Grease two 20cm sandwich tins and line the bases with greaseproof paper circles, then lightly dust with flour.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy – you can do this by hand, or in a food processor.
- One-by-one, beat in the eggs, then sift in the flour and fold through. Split the vanilla pod lengthways, then scrape out the seeds and add to the mixture.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and spread out evenly, then bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden, risen and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool slightly in the tins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Finely grate the lemon zest into a bowl, add the icing sugar and cream, then whisk to soft peaks.
- To assemble, spread an even layer of jam over one of the cakes, followed by a layer of the lemon cream, then dot the raspberries over the top. Sandwich the second cake on top, dust with icing sugar, then serve.
Source: Jamie Oliver