“Amazing bite-sized picnic food, this Caesar salad recipe is easy to pack up and take anywhere ”
- 8 thin slices higher-welfare pork belly
- 2 handfuls stale bread , sugar-lump sized pieces, crusts removed
- 3 fresh anchovies
- 2 lemons , juice and zest of
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sprig fresh flat-leaf parsley , chopped
- 2 cos lettuces
- a few cherry tomatoes , washed
- Parmesan , shavings
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Amazing bite-sized picnic food, this Caesar salad recipe is easy to pack up and take anywhere.
- Lay the pork belly slices on a non-stick baking tray and bake in the oven or under the grill for about 20 to 30 minutes or until cooked, golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the pork, chop the strips into chunks or leave whole, if you wish. Set aside. Toast the bread cubes in the pork fat under the grill until brown and crispy.
- Dress the anchovies with a little lemon juice and zest, extra virgin olive oil and some chopped flat-leaf parsley. To make a dressing for the salad, use 3 parts extra virgin olive oil to 1 part lemon juice and season it well with salt and pepper. Line a cup with cling film, pour the dressing in, gather up the edges and tie in a knot. Now you have a homemade sachet of salad dressing!
- Trim the lettuce back until you get to the pale inner leaves. Wash well and spin dry.
- Take a leaf of cos lettuce and fill it with croutons, pork, tomatoes, Parmesan and an anchovy. Prick the bag and drip some salad dressing over the top and tuck in!
Source: Jamie Oliver