“This take on classic Italian mostarda (with a kick!) loves chicken and pork and is great in sarnies ”
- 1 tablespoon salt , plus 1 extra teaspoon
- 8 firm pears , peeled, cored and quartered
- 140 g sugar
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 4 teaspoons English mustard powder
- 1 heaped tablespoon fresh ginger , grated
- 150 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 handful fresh mint leaves
- This is based on the Italian classic mostarda, which is fruit pickled in mustard syrup. They eat it with cheese and poached meats, and I love it with ham, pork and chicken.
- Sprinkle the tablespoon of salt over the pears in a colander.
- Put 150ml water in a saucepan, add the sugar and simmer for 10 minutes until syrupy. Turn the heat down and add the mustard seeds and powder, ginger, vinegar and chilli. Simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Drain the excess liquid from the pears and add to the pan with the extra salt. Cook gently for 5–8 minutes until softened slightly. Stir in the mint.
- Cool a little, then spoon into sterilized jars, closing the lids tightly.
Source: Jamie Oliver