“This genius veggie quiche traybake takes the hassle out of making quiche from scratch.
- olive oil
- 6 medium free-range eggs
- 1 bunch of spring onions
- 55 g mature Cheddar cheese
- 1 large courgette
- 300 g broccoli
- 1 x 250 g pack of ready-rolled filo pastry
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
- Grease a large 25cm by 35cm roasting tray with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat with a fork.
- Layer the filo sheets into the tray, laying one sheet horizontally, and the next vertically, repeating as you layer, brushing a little of the egg between each sheet. (Make sure they cover the base of the tray and go up the sides so it can contain the filling.) Add a final brush to the last layer and scrunch up any excess pastry that hangs over.
- Finely slice the spring onions and add to the bowl. Coarsely grate the Cheddar cheese (reserving a little for the top) and the courgette, then add them to the bowl. Break the broccoli into florets, then thinly slice and add to the bowl. Season to perfection with sea salt and black pepper, then mix together.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the prepared pastry case, spreading it out so it’s in an even layer, then sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Cook for 35 minutes, on the bottom of the oven, until the pastry is golden and the filling is set.
– If you don’t have spring onions, fry finely sliced regular onions in a little olive oil until soft (but not coloured) then add to the mix.
– No eggs? No problem! Spread the base of the filo with cream cheese instead, then top with the veg, grate over the Cheddar and bake for 20 minutes.
– This recipe will work brilliantly with frozen peas, spinach, cooked mushrooms or any green leafy veg.
FLEX YOUR FILLING
– Fancy adding meat or fish to the mix? Add a handful of finely chopped ham or smoked salmon or crumble in some crispy bacon. Delicious!
ON THE SIDE
– Serve with a crunchy slaw dressed with extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon.
Source: Jamie Oliver