“A few spoonfuls of simple seasonal fruit works a treat on everything from brekkie to Sunday roast! ”
- 500 g seasonal fruit, such as rhubarb, plums, apricots, strawberries or pears
- 2.5 cm piece of ginger , optional, if using rhubarb
- caster sugar , to taste
- Chop up all the fruit, discarding any stones.
- Place the fruit in a pan. If using rhubarb, peel the ginger and finely grate it into the pan. Add the sugar – I usually add 3 heaped teaspoons to rhubarb and 2 heaped teaspoons to any other fruit, but just taste as you go along and add more if you think it needs it (please be careful when tasting as it gets really hot). Add 2 tablespoons of water and cook on a medium heat with the lid on.
- Once the fruit has softened, remove the lid and let the liquid reduce – you want to end up with a fairly thick consistency.
- Serve over cereal, yoghurt, pancakes, granola, muesli or even with roast pork!
Source: Jamie Oliver