“If you can resist gobbling up all these rhubarb muffins yourself, they make a great pressie ”
- 350 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 325 g brown sugar
- ½ a lemon
- 250 ml milk
- 1 orange , zest only
- 2 pieces of stem ginger , finely chopped
- 1 large free-range egg
- 100 g butter , plus 1 tablespoon extra, melted
- 300 g rhubarb , finely chopped
- These rhubarb muffins are a great thing to pull out of the bag on Mother’s Day, especially if, like me, you sometimes forget to pick up a present! Your mum will love them!
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4 and line a muffin tray with muffin cases.
- In a large mixing bowl place the flour, baking powder, salt and 225g of the brown sugar. Mix, then make a well in the centre.
- Squeeze a few drops of lemon juice into the milk and set aside for a couple of minutes. Place the orange zest, half the stem ginger, the egg, 100g of melted butter and the milk mixture into the bowl and beat thoroughly. Fold in the chopped rhubarb. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases, filling each one to the top.
- In a small bowl place the remaining 100g of brown sugar, the extra tablespoon of melted butter and the rest of the stem ginger. Mix until it looks like a crumble topping, then sprinkle over the muffins.
- Bake for 25 minutes so the sugar turns golden and crispy and the muffins are cooked through. Serve warm with custard or crème fraîche for a lovely pudding.
Source: Jamie Oliver