“This comforting lemon pudding looks great, tastes amazing and is totally hassle free – I love it. It looks good cooked in a clear dish, as it goes into layers as it cooks, with a sort of lemon curdy custard at the bottom and a spongy meringuey top. Mmmmmmm… Very delicious! ”
- 55 g butter , plus extra for greasing
- 115 g sugar
- 1 lemon
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 55 g self-raising flour
- 285 ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6.
- Put the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl, grate in the lemon zest and cream together until pale and fluffy.
- Separate the eggs, then add the egg yolks and flour, and beat in. Add the milk and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, and mix well.
- Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff, then add the rest of the mixture. Mix it all well but don’t over-mix it; you don’t want the air to come out of the egg whites.
- Pour into a buttered ovenproof dish, stand the dish in a roasting tin about a third full of water, then bake in your preheated oven for about 45 minutes until the top is set and spongy and it’s a nice golden colour.
Source: Jamie Oliver