- 1 large aubergine , (400g)
- 4 spring onions
- 1 fresh red or yellow chilli
- 20 g unsalted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- Put a 26cm non-stick frying pan on a high heat and pour in 250ml of water.
- Halve the aubergine lengthways, quickly slash the flesh side of each half a few times and place skin side up in the pan, then season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until it boils dry and begins to sizzle (listen for the change in sound).
- Meanwhile, trim the spring onions. Cut the whites into 3cm lengths at an angle and put aside.
- Deseed the chilli and finely slice lengthways with the green part of the spring onions. Place both in a bowl of ice-cold water and put aside to crisp up.
- When the aubergine starts to sizzle, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the white spring onion and the peanuts to the pan, stirring regularly.
- After 2 minutes, add a splash of water, drizzle in the teriyaki and reduce to a medium heat.
- Turn the aubergine, jiggle the pan and let it get sticky for a few minutes, then dish up, sprinkled with the drained green spring onion and chilli.
Source: Jamie Oliver