“This French-style pancakes recipe works a treat with sweet or savoury fillings, any time of day ”
- 3 free-range eggs
- 100 g butter , melted, plus a knob to grease the crêpe pan
- 275 ml good-quality cider
- 250 g buckwheat flour
- pouring cream , to serve
- POACHED FRUIT
- 1 apple , peeled, cored and cut into large chunks
- 4 pears , peeled, cored and cut into large chunks
- 150 ml good-quality cider
- 1 generous splash of calvados
- 90 g sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 lemon , zest of
- 1 orange , zest of
- For the poached fruit, place all the ingredients in a large saucepan over a high heat. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and gently simmer.
- Meanwhile, for the crêpes, beat the eggs in a bowl then add the butter, cider, 250ml water and a pinch of salt. Slowly sift in the flour, beating as you go, until you have a smooth batter. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When the fruit is tender but still holds its shape, bring the batter out of the fridge. Melt a knob of butter in a crêpe pan over a medium-high heat. Add a ladleful of batter and tip the pan to spread it around.
- Once bubbles form on the surface, loosen the edges of the crêpe with a palette knife or spatula before gently turning it over. Cook for another minute till golden and cooked on both sides, then transfer to a warm oven while you continue making the others. Serve with poached fruit and cream.
Source: Jamie Oliver