“Perfect with ice cream or custard, this traditional pud made with stewed apples and a sponge top is super-comforting. Enjoy! ”
- unsalted butter , for greasing
- 6 eating apples
- 100 g sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 60 g self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- icing sugar , for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4 and grease a 1.5-litre baking dish with butter.
- Peel, core and chop the apples, then place in a pan with 50g of the sugar and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Cover and cook, stirring now and then, for 8 minutes, or until the apple breaks down. Spoon into your dish, leaving the excess liquid in the pan.
- Beat the eggs with the remaining 50g of sugar until fluffy, then stir in the vanilla extract, sift in the flour and spice and fold together.
- Pour the batter over the apples and bake for 30 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean from the sponge.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving. Delicious served hot with ice cream or custard.
Source: Jamie Oliver