Easy Tofu Kimchi (Dubu Kimchi) recipe. Ready in 15 mins!
Tofu Kimchi (Dubu Kimchi, 두부김치) is a delicious and versatile Korean side dish, primarily made with tofu and kimchi. Though it doesn’t mean that it’s kimchi made with tofu. (That sounds interesting, though! Lol)
Tofu Kimchi is essentially a stir fried kimchi served with boiled tofu. They are not cooked together but rather served together.
My original tofu kimchi recipe from 2006 was a vegetarian version. But, it is more commonly made with some meat, often pork, so I decided to update my old recipe to include those missing elements. 🙂 – You can still make it the vegetarian way. Though, I have to say that my husband was very happy about this update, because he loves meat!
Tofu Kimchi is a popular appetiser and also a drink snack in Korea. People often associate it with Korean alcoholic beverage – Soju (소주) or Makgeolli (막걸리). But it goes very well as a side dish to your main meals! I can finish my plain steamed rice just with this!
What I love about tofu kimchi is that they complement each other very well. Tofu is mild, and kimchi has a complex spicy flavour. These complex flavours are even more enhanced by cooking with meat and nutty aromas from sesame oil, and sesame seeds are marvellous! It will make you content and happy. 🙂 I hope you give this a try soon!
P.S. Check out more easy recipes using kimchi! Also, if you love tofu, check out my pan fried Korean tofu recipe!
Ingredients for Tofu Kimchi (Dubu Kimchi), 4 servings
- 500g / 7 ounces firm tofu
- 2 cup Kimchi, use at least 2 to 3 weeks old Kimchi, thinly sliced, also add any juice that comes out of kimchi
- 10g / 0.3 ounces green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp raw sugar
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp roasted sesame seeds
- Some cooking oil, I used rice bran oil
- Some water to boil tofu
Meat and Marinade (Mix these together in a bowl)
- 200g / 3.5 ounces pork belly or pork shoulder or beef, thinly sliced for stir frying
- 1 Tbsp Korean chilli flakes (add more or less per your spice level preference)
- 1 Tbsp rice wine (mirin)
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- A few sprinkles ground black pepper
*1 Tbsp = 15 ml, 1 Cup = 250 ml
**If you want to learn more about Korean ingredients, check my 30 essential Korean cooking ingredients list!
How to Make Tofu Kimchi
1. In a well heated skillet/wok, add some cooking oil. Add the marinated meat and cook it on medium high heat until about 70% of the meat is cooked (3 to 5 mins). Add the kimchi and sugar and stir them well until the kimchi is fully cooked and tender (3 to 5 mins). Add the sesame oil, sesame seeds, and green onion and stir quickly. Remove from the heat.
2. (Ideally, this step should start at the same time as step 1). Boil some water in a pot (enough to cover the tofu) and once the water is rolling boiling, add the tofu and cook it for 2 to 3 mins. Drain the water and thinly slice the tofu ( about 5 cm x 5 cm /2 inch x 2 inch). Watch out for hot steam or hot tofu while slicing. Tip: If you have a clean linen cloth (e.g. cheese cloth), wrap up the tofu with it before boiling. Then it’s easy to take it out while keeping the tofu shape in place.
3. Serve the tofu and stir fried kimchi with pork on a large plate. Enjoy while still warm.
It can be reheated in a microwave.