This is my standby pasta supper as it is so delicious, so quick and everyone loves it. Great for everyday or for casual supper parties too.
- 350g/12oz penne pasta
- 2 x 80g packs Parma ham, snipped into small pieces
- 250g/9oz small brown chestnut mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 200g/7oz full-fat crème fraîche
- 100g/3½oz Parmesan, grated
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
To serve (optional)
- green salad
- crunchy bread
Cook the pasta in a pan of boiling salted water according to the packet instructions. Drain and set aside
Heat a frying pan until hot. Add the Parma ham and fry until crisp. Transfer half the ham onto a plate and set aside. Add the mushrooms to the pan and fry for 2 minutes. Add the crème fraîche and bring to the boil. Add the pasta, Parmesan and parsley and toss over the heat. Season well with salt and pepper.
Serve with a green salad and crunchy bread.
If you want to use reduced fat crème fraîche, just stir it through at the end of cooking otherwise it will split. For special occasions, add a pack of asparagus tips to the pasta four minutes before the end of cooking time, then drain with the pasta.