Today’s recipe is dubu-jorim (spicy braised tofu). It’s tofu braised in a savory-spicy sauce and pan fried with caramelized onion, garlic, and green onions, making it juicy, a little spicy, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. It’s a delicious side dish for rice, noodles or porridge, and tastes meaty even though it’s a totally vegetarian dish.
This is something you can easily put together in a short amount of time that will please pretty much everybody, and especially vegetarians. You can refrigerate any leftovers for up to 3 to 4 days! This dish is good hot or cold, so you don’t even need to heat it up again if you don’t want to, just bring it out and serve.
It’s also a standard in Korean dosirak (lunchbox) item because it keeps well until lunchtime and it gives any meal a little kick. Enjoy the recipe!
- 1 package of tofu (18 ounces: 510 grams)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup minced onion
- 2 green onions, chopped
For the sauce, mix in a small bowl:
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper flakes
- ½ cup water
- Rinse tofu in cold running water and dry it with cotton or paper towel. Cut it into ¼ inch thick bite size pieces.
- Add the cooking oil to a non-stick pan and heat it up over high heat.
- Gently set the tofu onto the pan and cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Rotate the pan to cook the tofu evenly. When the bottoms get a little crunchy, flip them over one by one with a spatula. Let cook another 7 to 8 minutes until both sides of each tofu piece are a little crispy and golden brown.
- Transfer the tofu to a plate. Keep the leftover oil.
- Heat up a small pan over medium high heat and add the leftover oil.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, and green onion (less 1 tablespoon, to be used for a garnish later). Stir with a wooden spoon for a few minutes until the onion gets a little crispy.
- Add the sauce and keep stirring until it reduces a bit and thickens.
- Add tofu and braise for a minute until the tofu absorbs some of the flavor of the sauce. Add some toasted sesame oil and stir.
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds over top and the rest of the chopped green onion. Serve right away with rice.