Hello everybody, Dwaejibulgogi recipe is here! : )
When I was invited to my friend’s BBQ party in upstate New York, I brought marinated beef, pork, and mushrooms (for vegetarians) and was planning to shoot a video for beef bulgogi. I didn’t plan on shooting a spicy pork recipe video, but I changed my mind at the party while barbecuing marinated pork. As you can see, the recipes for beef bulgogi and pork bulgogi are very similar. The only big difference is that I add hot pepper paste to the marinade for pork bulgogi.
Some of you might be wondering what the difference is between my spicy stir-fried pork (dwaejigogibokkeum) recipe that I already posted and this recipe. The taste is very similar but the preparation is different. Stir-fried pork is cooked, as the name suggests, in a pan or a wok over high heat, with the seasoning sauce and vegetables altogether.
Dwaejibulgogi is marinated first and then grilled, pan-fried, or barbecued over charcoals. Both are delicious!
If you are looking for a vegetarian version of this recipe, the marinade can be used with other vegetables: eggplant, squash, or mushrooms.
Enjoy the recipe!
Ingredients (3-4 servings)
- 1 pound pork belly, sliced thinly into pieces ½ inch x 2 inches and ⅛ inch thick
tip: You can replace pork belly with pork shoulder or pork loin
For the marinade :
- ½ cup of crushed pear
- ¼ cup onion purée
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- ½ ts of minced ginger
- 1 chopped green onion
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs of sugar and 1½ tbs rice syrup (or 2 tbs brown sugar)
- a pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 ts of toasted toasted sesame oil
- 3 tbs hot pepper paste
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Add the sliced pork and mix well.
- You can grill, pan-fry, or BBQ right after marinating, but it’s best to let it marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve with rice, ssamjang (a soybean paste based dipping sauce), lettuce, sliced garlic and green chili pepper.
- Make a small green lettuce wrap with pork, garlic, green chili pepper and ssamjang and eat the wrap in one bite!