Hi, everybody! I’m going to introduce 2 kinds of kimchi pancakes (kimchijeon) to you today: chopped kimchi pancake and my grandma’s style of whole kimchi leaf pancake.
The kimchijeon made with chopped kimchi is very easy and simple to make. You don’t need any special ingredients as long as you have some kimchi in your fridge. I make this kimchijeon at home all the time. (note: I made an updated version of this recipe here!)
My grandma’s style of kimchijeon is made with whole kimchi leaves and is what I would call upgraded kimchijeon. ; )
Have you ever seen this kind of kimchijeon? I thought it looked very special the first time I saw my late grandmother making it for us. I remember what I thought: “Hmm, grandma treats the kimchi leaf like a slice of fish? Interesting!” But I never said anything, I just watched what she was doing.
I miss my grandmother now. She would be so proud of me if she knew I was posting her recipe here! Which recipe would you like better? : )
In the video, I show you how to cut the big, round kimchijeon (it’s 12 inches wide because my frying pan is 12 inches wide : )) into bite sized pieces, but as I mentioned in the video, you could also serve it right out of the pan without cutting it. It’s usually served as family snack that way. Then you use your chopsticks to tear off a piece of the kimchijeon and eat it. It may be difficult because the pancake might slide around on the plate, and it should stay there so everyone else can eat some too! So one of your family members should grab the pancake with her or his chopsticks so you can tear off your piece more easily. Helping each other is very important when you eat kimchijeon this way!
“Let me eat some, I need someone’s help! Grab the corner of this pancake for me, plz!”
If you cut it into bite sized pieces, it’s usually served as a side dish. It’s a popular side dish for lunch box, too.
Enjo~yee the recipe! : )
Kimchijeon made with chopped kimchi
Yield: 2-4 servings
Kimchi, onion, kosher salt, sugar, flour, vegetable oil.
- In a bowl, place 1 cup of chopped kimchi, 3 tbs of kimchi juice, 2 tbs chopped onion, ½ ts kosher salt, ½ ts sugar, ½ cup flour (all purpose flour), and ¼ cup of water and mix it well with a spoon.
- Heat up a 12 inch non-stick pan over medium high heat and drizzle about 2 tbs grape seed oil.
- Place the mixture of kimchi pancake batter on the pan and spread it thinly and evenly with a spoon.
- Cook it for 1 to 1½ minutes until the bottom gets golden brown and crispy.
- Turn it over with a spatula or flip it.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook for another 1½ minutes.
- Turn it over one more time and cook for 30 seconds before transfering it to a serving plate.
*tip: Serve it right out of the pan or cool it down and cut it into bite size to serve.
Grandma’s kimchijeon made with whole kimchi leaves
Yield: 2 servings
Kimchi, ground pork, tofu, onion chives (or green onions), onion, kosher salt, black ground pepper, toasted sesame oil, egg, flour, grape seed oil.
- Prepare 6 or 7 kimchi leaves (6 to 7 inches long, or 16 cm) and ½ cup flour in a plate.
- Coat both sides of each kimchi leaf in the flour by hand.
Make meat mixture
- In a small bowl, add 2 tbs ground pork (or beef), 2 tbs tofu (after gently squeezing out excess water with a paper towel), 1 ts chopped onion chives (or green onion), 1 tbs chopped onion, a pinch of salt and black ground pepper, 1 ts of toasted sesame oil, and mix the mixture well with a spoon.
- Set aside.
Make the pancakes
- Place 1 egg in a small bowl and add a pinch of salt. Beat it with a fork.
- Add some of the meat-tofu mix on one side of a kimchi stem. Add some flour on top of the mixture.
- Put some of the meat-tofu mix on the rest of kimchi leaves.
- Heat up a non-stick pan and add some grape seed oil (or vegetable oil).
- Coat each kimchi leaf with beaten egg mix and place on the heated pan.
*tip: the meat mixture should be bottom of the pan
- When the bottom of the kimchi pancake turns golden brown (1 or 1½ minutes), turn it over and cook another minute.
- Turn it over one more time and cook another 30 seconds before transfering it to a serving plate.
*tip: you can serve it as it is or cut it into bite size before serving