Today I’m going to recommend you make this easy, chilly, healthy delicious recipe called miyeok-muchim or Korean sweet & sour seaweed salad. I don’t make this dish all the time, but on hot summer days I especially crave it. I always have dried seaweed in my pantry, so it’s pretty easy to put this salad together when I want to have it. There are all kinds of delicious things you can make with miyeok by the way, seaweed soup especially! If you don’t have a local Korean grocery store near you, it’s also available on Amazon.
The sweet, sour, tangy sauce in this dish mixed with the soft but crispy seaweed makes it irresistible and very refreshing. It really has the taste of the sea! It’s a perfect companion to grilled beef, so I love to make it when I have a BBQ. : ) It’s also a kind of mitbanchan, something you can keep in the fridge for up to a week, and keep eating it on the side for all kinds of meals during that time.
Let me know if you try it out! I’m sure you’ll love it!
- 1 ounce (30 grams) dried seaweed (miyeok)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup white distilled vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey (or sugar)
- 1 ounce onion (30 grams), sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 6-7 ice cubes (or 1 cup of shaved ice)
- salt (optional)
- Soak the miyeok in cold water 30 minutes to 1 hour until it fully expands.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add some salt (optional) and blanch the miyeok for 30 seconds, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Strain and rinse in cold running water until the miyeok is nice and cold.
- Cut it into bite size pieces.
- Combine garlic, onion, soy sauce, vinegar, and honey in a bowl. Add the miyeok and mix well.
- Serve right away with rice or store it in an airtight container in the fridge, for up to 1 week. Right before serving, add some shaved ice or ice cubes if you want it extra cold.