Bulgogi is a popular Korean dish, which many people translate as “Korean barbeque.” But it is more than that. There are a lot of vegetables, too.
This is two recipes, one for bulgogi, a barbecued or grilled beef, and the second one is for bulgogi stew (“jungol”). If you just want a barbecue, stop after making bulgogi from these recipes. If you want to make the stew, first make bulgogi, don’t cook it, and then continue on to the second recipe.
- 2 pounds of tenderloin beef
- soy sauce, sugar, honey, garlic, pear, onion
- ground black pepper, toasted sesame oil and seeds
- 1 can of beef broth, mushrooms, carrot, green onions
- tofu, onion, and green chili pepper.
- Make marinade sauce for 2 pounds of beef by mixing following: ½ cup soy sauce, 1 ts ground black pepper, ¼ cup sugar, 12 cloves minced garlic, 1 medium size onion (crushed), 1 small size of pureed Asian pear, ½ cup of water (can be replaced with cooking wine), and 1 tbs of honey.
*tip: Using a food processor is very convenient.
- Prepare a large stainless bowl and pour the marinade sauce in it.
- Slice the beef thinly, against the grain, to make it tender.
*tip: Keep the beef in the freezer for a few hours beforehand, then it will be easier to cut.
- Place the sliced beef into the marinade and add 1 or 2 tbs of toasted sesame oil and some toasted sesame seeds. Mix it by hand and keep it in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, you can grill the meat on charcoal bbq, broil it in oven, or grill it on pan.
Bulgogi stew (bulgogi jungol)
marinated bulgogi (the recipe from above), mushrooms, green onions, tofu or noodles, and green chili pepper.
- Prepare a big shallow skillet. Place colorful vegetables (mushrooms, carrot, and green onions cut into bite-size pieces) round the outside with tofu, and place the bulgogi in the center.
- Cut up a green chili pepper and place it on top of the bulgogi on the skillet.
- Mix 1 can of beef broth and 1-2 cans of water and add on the skillet.
- Close the lid and cook it about 5 -10 minutes. Open it to spread the bulgogi around, and then close the lid again
- Cook another 5-10 minutes over high heat and serve it.
*tip: To eat it, use a serving spoon or dipper to fill individual bowls of the stew.