“I love my waffle machine – if you haven’t got one, put it on your Christmas wishlist! ”
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large free-range egg
- 240 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 orange , optional
- vanilla extract , optional
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Gradually beat in the egg, then add the milk slowly, whisking well to get as smooth a batter as possible.
- If you’re making sweet waffles, grate in the orange zest and add a few drops of vanilla extract.
- Get your waffle machine ready. Once it’s hot, ladle in the batter mixture and seal, following the machine instructions until your waffles are cooked.
- Serve with whatever takes your fancy! Let the kids invent their own, or see some of our favourite ideas below for inspiration.
Avocado, lime, chilli, cherry tomato, coriander
Fried egg, crispy bacon, ketchup, HP sauce
Smoked salmon, cream cheese, chives, lemon
Pomegranate seeds, melted chocolate, yoghurt, chopped nuts
Melted chocolate, coconut-flavoured yoghurt, clementine
Blueberries, honey, yoghurt, lemon
Source: Jamie Oliver