“As seen on Friday Night Feast, my colourful Chinese-style stir-fry is easy, delicious and good for you, plus it’s ready in less time than it takes to order a takeaway. Feel free to mix up the veg, or swap out the chicken for another protein. Give it a go! ”
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 cm piece of ginger
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 2 carrots
- ½ a red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 80 g purple sprouting , or tenderstem broccoli
- 80 g mixed mushrooms
- 1 free-range chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 130 g baby corn
- 80 g mangetout , or sugar snap peas
- 2 wholewheat noodle nests , (130g)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon black bean sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- a few sprigs of fresh coriander
- Peel and finely chop the garlic and ginger, deseed and finely chop the chilli.
- Peel the carrots, halve lengthways, then finely slice. Peel the onion, deseed the pepper, then finely slice. Trim the broccoli (halving any thick stalks lengthways), wipe the mushrooms clean, trim the stalks and halve any larger ones.
- Cut the chicken into 1cm strips and toss in a bowl with the Chinese five-spice and sesame oil.
- Place a wok or large non-stick frying pan on a medium-high heat with the vegetable oil. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli, toss for 30 seconds, then add the chicken and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes more, or until golden.
- Add all the veg and stir-fry for a further 3 to 4 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the veg is tender but with a bit of bite.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles in a large pan of boiling salted water according to the packet instructions.
- Use tongs to drag the noodles straight into the wok, then add the soy and black bean sauce and toss to coat.
- Divide between your plates, scatter over the sesame seeds and coriander, and dig in.
Source: Jamie Oliver