“The kids’ favourite dinners are always the traybakes – we cannot get enough of them in our family! Our trick for keeping it fresh is
to combine roasted ingredients with fresh ones and to top them with a good sauce or pesto, giving a mix of temperatures as well
as textures. We use a spiraliser to create the vegetable tangles
but a julienne peeler will also do the trick. ”
- 800 g mixed root veg , (potatoes, carrots, parsnips, beetroots)
- 2 red peppers
- 1 small broccoli , or cauliflower
- olive oil
- 250 g halloumi cheese
- 1 courgette , (or 1 cucumber, 2 carrots or 2 beetroots)
- 1 large eating apple
- 100 g lamb’s lettuce , or spinach
- 4 tablespoons quality green pesto
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6.
- Scrub the root veg and cut into bite-sized pieces along with the peppers, discarding the seeds. Cut the broccoli or cauliflower into florets.
- Spread the veg out in a large roasting tray, drizzle with 3 tablespoons of oil, season with sea salt and black pepper and toss well to coat. Roast for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and coloured.
- Cut the halloumi into 2cm pieces and scatter over the veg. Switch the oven to grill, increase the temperature and grill for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is soft and golden.
- Spiralise the courgette (or other chosen vegetables), then core and finely slice the apple. Combine the apple with the roasted veggies, then stir through the courgetti and spinach.
- Mix the pesto with 2 tablespoons of oil and drizzle over to serve.
Source: Jamie Oliver