- 6 pickling cucumbers , or 2 regular-sized cucumbers
- 2 banana shallots
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 star anise
- 75 g caster sugar
- 150 ml vinegar
- Cut the pickling cucumbers in half lengthways, and slice regular ones through the middle, then into fingers. Peel and finely slice the shallots.
- Put the cucumbers and shallots in a colander. Sprinkle over 2 teaspoons of sea salt. After 45 minutes, rinse well.
- Combine all the other ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Fit the cucumbers snugly into a Kilner jar, then pour over the liquid. Seal and leave for at least 24 hours.
Source: Jamie Oliver