- 200 g sushi rice
- 3 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 100 g fine asparagus
- 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 2 limes
- 2 sushi nori strips
- 1 tablespoons of wasabi
- shiso cress
- Cook the sushi rice according to the packet instructions, then set aside.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan until golden.
- Place a griddle over a high heat, add the asparagus and cook for 10 minutes, or until nice and charred.
- Put the soy sauces onto one plate and the sesame seeds onto another. Roll the asparagus in the soy sauce, then in the sesame seeds to coat.
- Peel and destone the avocado, then slice into strips. Squeeze over the juice of 1 lime, then set aside.
- To assemble the sushi, lay the nori on a sushi rolling mat. Spread over half the rice, leaving a 2cm gap at each end and spoon a little wasabi paste along the centre.
- Top with strips of avocado and the coated asparagus, then carefully (and as tightly as you can) roll up the sushi.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the rolls into pieces – about 12 pieces per roll. Serve with extra sweet soy sauce, some shiso cress and lime wedges for squeezing over.
Source: Jamie Oliver