- 75 g almonds
- 1 handful of mixed seeds
- 125 g sugar
- 1 iceberg lettuce
- 4 endives
- 150 ml buttermilk
- 2 lemons
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch of fresh chives
- Place a non-stick frying pan on a medium heat and dry-toast the almonds until golden, then add the seeds.
- Sprinkle in the sugar, a generous pinch of sea salt and gently caramelise until all the sugar has dissolved. Don’t stir, or it will form large crystals.
- Gently swirl the pan until you have a gorgeous golden caramel, then poor the mixture onto a greaseproof-lined tray. Leave to one side to cool.
- Cut the lettuces and endives into large wedges, through the stem so that they stay in one piece. Rinse, if needed, and dry with kitchen paper.
- Arrange them on a serving platter and leave to one side.
- Make the dressing by spooning the buttermilk into a jam jar, season well and grate in the lemon zest. Squeeze in the juice from 1 lemon and add a couple of spoonfuls of oil. Shake the dressing to mix well and set aside.
- In a pestle and mortar, crush the caramelised nuts and seeds so you have fine bits and chunky pieces.
- Drizzle the buttermilk dressing over the salad wedges. Finely chop and scatter over the chives along with the crushed nuts and seeds.
Source: Jamie Oliver