“Fresh beef broth is best for this, but if you don’t have any to hand, you can used a tinned version. ”
- 1 red onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 large beetroot
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 x 400 g tin of plum tomatoes
- 1.2 litres organic beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- ½ a very small red cabbage
- 4 tabelspoons sour cream
- a few sprigs of fresh dill
- Peel and finely slice the onion, peel and finely chop the carrots and beetroot, then trim and finely chop the celery. Peel and crush the garlic.
- Using a pair of scissors, snip up the tomatoes while still in the tin. Tip these into a large pan and stir in the onion, carrots, celery, beetroot, garlic, beef stock, tomato purée and sugar.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Very finely shred and add the cabbage and simmer for another 30 minutes or so, or until very soft.
- Blend the soup until smooth, or leave it as is.
- Serve hot with swirls of the sour cream and a little finely chopped dill sprinkled over.
Source: Jamie Oliver