“This is the kind of breakfast that you find in cafés across Australia. You can’t beat the creamy nuttiness of avocado combined with tangy cheese and sweet tomato. Since avocado is the star of the show, accept nothing less than softly yielding, ripe perfection. ”
- 4 plum or 12 cherry tomatoes
- olive oil
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 1 lemon
- 3 ripe avocados
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 150 g feta cheese
- 4 handfuls of rocket
- You can do this part the night before. Preheat the oven to 150ºC/gas 1. Halve and place the tomatoes cut-side up on a baking tray, season generously and drizzle with oil.
- Roast slowly for 1½–2 hours, or until they are sticky and dried out. You can make batches of these and keep them in the fridge as they’re good with pasta, salads, grilled meat – almost everything.
- When you’re ready for breakfast, pick the basil leaves, then pound in a pestle and mortar with a pinch of sea salt until you have a paste. Pour in a good splash of oil and squeeze in the juice of ½ lemon.
- Halve your avocados and scoop out the flesh. Place in a bowl, squeeze in the other lemon half and season with salt and pepper. Gently mash with a fork to bring it all together.
- Toast the bread, then divide between 4 plates and generously spread on the avocado and top with the tomatoes.
- Top each serve with crumbled feta, a handful of rocket and a drizzle of basil oil.
Source: Jamie Oliver