- 500 ml whole milk
- ½ an orange
- ½ a lemon
- ½ a stick of cinnamon
- 1 vanilla pod
- 7 large free-range egg yolks
- 95 g sugar, plus extra to serve
- 1 heaped tesapoon cornflour
- Put the milk, orange and lemon zest and cinnamon in a saucepan. Split the vanilla pod lengthways and add this too, then gently bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and allow to infuse for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and cornflour until pale and creamy.
- Pass the milk through a sieve and discard everything else, then return the milk to the pan and place over a medium heat.
- Just before it reaches boiling point, slowly add the egg mixture, whisking continuously for about 7 minutes, or until it begins to thicken and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove it from the heat and pour into individual dishes or ramekins.
- Cover each serving with a disc of greaseproof paper to prevent a skin from forming, and let it cool before placing in the fridge.
- To serve, remove the greaseproof paper, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar on top of each crema and caramelise using a blowtorch. Alternatively, place the sugared cremas on a tray under a preheated gas grill for a few minutes, until the sugar turns dark brown. Allow the sugar to harden, then serve immediately.
Source: Jamie Oliver