- 1 tablespoon clear runny honey
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 4 baby aubergines
- 3 courgettes
- 2 green peppers
- 2 red peppers
- 2 red onions
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pieces of Arab-style flatbread
- salad leaves
- CHICKPEA SALAD
- 1 x 400 g tin of chickpeas
- 1 onion
- ½ a bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lemon
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- For the chickpea salad, drain the chickpeas and place in a bowl, then roughly mash with a fork.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion, and pick and finely chop the parsley, then add to the chickpeas. Squeeze over the lemon juice, then add the remaining ingredients and mix together. Season, and set aside.
- Warm the honey, then combine with the harissa in a small bowl and set aside.
- Next, prepare the vegetables. Trim and slice the aubergines lengthways, and thinly slice the courgettes. Deseed and slice the peppers, peel and slice the onions, then slice the tomatoes.
- Cook all the vegetables on a barbecue or char-grill pan over a medium heat, basting with the oil and turning occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until tender and cooked. Season while cooking.
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking time, baste the aubergines with the harissa and honey marinade. Leave them to cook for 3 minutes longer than the other vegetables, or until they begin to blacken and soften.
- Using a sharp knife, split open the flatbreads and lightly toast.
- To serve, place the vegetables and chickpea salad on the toasted flatbread with some salad leaves.
Source: Jamie Oliver