“These toppings raise the bar for homemade chips but are equally delicious with roast potatoes. ”
- 4 large potatoes (about 300g each)
- vegetable oil , for deep-frying
- FUNKY CHIPS
- 1 clove of garlic
- a few sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- POSH CHIPS
- truffle oil
- 8 g Parmesan cheese
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1cm-thick chips. Parboil the chips in boiling salted water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until soft but keeping their shape.
- Drain in a colander and leave to steam until completely dry – this is very important before frying.
- Heat a deep-fryer to 180°C or fill a deep saucepan to three-quarters full with vegetable oil over a high heat. For safety, clear the kitchen and never leave hot oil unattended. To test when the oil has reached the required temperature, drop in a cube of bread – at 180°C it will turn golden in 10 seconds.
- Carefully fry the chips, in batches, until golden crisp. Drain on kitchen towel, then sprinkle with sea salt.
- If you’re feeling funky, peel and thinly slice the garlic and pick and finely chop the parsley, then carefully mix with the hot chips.
- Or if you’re in a posh mood, drizzle them lightly with truffle oil (combine with olive oil if it’s very strong) and finely grate over the Parmesan. Serve nice and hot.
Source: Jamie Oliver