- 1 onion
- 2 large parsnips
- 1 x 420 g tin of cannellini beans
- 1 sprig of fresh sage
- olive oil
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 organic litre chicken stock
- CRISPY PARSNIPS
- 1 parsnip
- 2 sprigs of fresh sage
- For the soup, peel and roughly chop the onion and parsnips. Drain and rinse the cannellini beans, then pick and roughly chop the sage.
- Heat 50ml of oil in a pan over a medium heat, then cook the onion and parsnips for 10 minutes, or until softened but not coloured.
- Add the bay leaf, beans, sage and stock, season and simmer for 15 minutes.
- For the crispy parsnips, preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6.
- Peel and very thinly slice the parsnip, and pick the sage leaves.
- Brush the parsnip slices and sage leaves with oil, and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, checking often, or until crispy.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf from the soup, then blitz it with a stick blender until smooth, adding extra stock or water if it’s too thick.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste, then serve piping hot with a drizzle of olive oil and the parsnip crisps on top.
Source: Jamie Oliver