“This classic British summertime menu is ideal for a garden party at home, though you can easily bundle it all into a thermos and containers to transport to a picnic too. ”
- 60 g unsalted butter
- 1 onion
- 3 cucumbers
- 1.5 litres organic chicken stock
- ½ a bunch of fresh chives
- ½ a bunch of fresh parsley
- 2 lemons
- 200 ml single cream
- Peel and dice the onion and roughly chop the cucumbers.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and sauté the onions over a medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the cucumber, reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil then reduce the heat again. Season well with sea salt and black pepper, and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Chop and add the chives and parsley leaves, squeeze in the lemon juice and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and purée until smooth (in batches, if necessary).
- Place the soup in a bowl, allow to cool at room temperature, then refrigerate until cold.
- Whisk in the cream, season to taste, then serve.
Source: Jamie Oliver