“This punchy, crunchy salad is pure goodness on a plate – the perfect foil to indulgent holiday feasting. ”
- 500 g purple sprouting or tenderstem broccoli
- 4 large free-range eggs , (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon or wholegrain mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 pinch of caster sugar
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 6-8 marinated anchovies
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 60 g leftover ciabatta
- olive oil
- For the croutons, tear the ciabatta up into bite-sized pieces. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Once hot, tip in the ciabatta and toss well to coat in the oil.
- Cook gently for 5 to 10 minutes, or until crisp and golden; try to resist adding more oil – they will turn golden given a bit of time. Tip onto a plate, then wipe out the pan with kitchen paper and set aside.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, then add the broccoli and cook until just tender (about 5 minutes for purple sprouting or 3 minutes for tenderstem).
- Fill a bowl with cold water, then lift the broccoli from the pan and into the cold water to cool. Keep the pan of water on the hob.
- Gently lower the eggs into the pan of boiling water and simmer for
6 minutes, or until they are just soft in the middle. Drain and set aside.
- Tip the broccoli into a colander, then cool the eggs in a fresh bowl of cold water for a few minutes.
- Next, combine 1 tablespoon of oil with the mustard, vinegar and sugar, plus 1 tablespoon of cold water and a little seasoning to make the dressing. Peel, then halve the eggs.
- Peel and thinly slice the garlic, tear up the anchovies and trim and finely chop the chilli.
- Put 1 tablespoon of oil in the frying pan, place over a medium heat and fry the garlic for 30 seconds. Toss in the drained broccoli and cook for 2 minutes over a high heat, until starting to colour here and there.
- Spread the broccoli over a platter, then add the eggs, croutons and anchovies. Scatter with the chilli, drizzle over the dressing and serve.
Source: Jamie Oliver