“Kneading the dough to make this flatbread recipe is a fun and much-loved task for little ones. Super-tasty, super-fun! ”
- 350 g self-raising flour , plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 350 g natural yoghurt
- GARLIC AND HERB BUTTER (OPTIONAL)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- a bunch of fresh soft herbs, such as flat-leaf parsley, tarragon, basil, dill
- 40 g unsalted butter
- Add all the flatbread ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix together with a spoon, then use clean hands to pat and bring everything together.
- Dust a clean work surface with flour, then tip out the dough.
- Knead for a minute or so to bring it all together (this isn’t a traditional bread recipe, so you don’t need to knead it for long – just enough time to bring everything together).
- Put the dough into a floured-dusted bowl and cover with a plate, then leave aside.
- If making the garlic butter: peel the garlic cloves and crush them with a garlic crusher.
- Pick the herb leaves onto a chopping board and finely chop them, discarding the stalks.
- Melt the butter in a small pan over a medium heat, then stir through the garlic and chopped herbs, then set aside.
- Dust a clean work surface and rolling pin with flour, then divide the dough in half, then divide each half into 6 equal-sized pieces (roughly the size of a golf ball).
- With your hands, pat and flatten the dough, then use a rolling pin to roll each piece into 12cm rounds, roughly 2mm to 3mm thick.
- Use a knife to cut 6 lines into the centre of each round, leaving about 3cm at each end.
- Place the griddle pan on a high heat, then once hot, cook each one for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until bar-marked and puffed up, turning with tongs.
- Brush the flatbreads all over with herby garlic butter as they come off the griddle, then pile onto a serving board so everyone can dig in and help themselves.
I’ve given you a recipe for garlic butter here too, but these flatbreads are lovely just as they are alongside some soup, with a fresh salad or dunked in some homemade dip.
Source: Jamie Oliver