“Tofu is a brilliant carrier of flavours, plus it’s high in protein, low in saturated fat and a great source of calcium and phosphorus, both of which make for strong and healthy bones ”
- 350 g firm silken tofu
- 1 large free-range egg
- 75 g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 2 heaped teaspoons Marmite
- 8 ripe tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 sprigs of fresh basil
- 4 soft wholemeal buns
- 400 g mixed seasonal salad veg, such as cucumber, red cabbage, apples, cress, baby spinach
- olive oil
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 50 g Cheddar cheese
- 50 g gherkins
- CREAMY BASIL DRESSING
- 4 tablespoons natural yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 sprigs of fresh basil
- ¼ of a fresh red chilli
- Wrap the tofu in a clean tea towel, then squeeze and wring it out to remove the excess liquid (about 4 tablespoons should come out – it’s messy, but really important to do this for great burger texture later).
- Place the tofu in a bowl, scraping it off the tea towel. Crack in the egg, then add the breadcrumbs and Marmite. Mix and scrunch together really well with clean hands, then shape into 4 even-sized patties that’ll fit nicely in your buns once cooked.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and put into a dry non-stick frying pan on a high heat with a pinch of black pepper, a splash of water and the vinegar.
- Squash the tomatoes with a potato masher, cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until thick and delicious, then tear in the basil leaves and season to perfection (I sometimes add a pinch of dried red chilli flakes too, for a kick).
- If you want to plump up your buns, pop them into a warm oven for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely slice or prep all the salad veg.
- Next, pick the basil leaves into a blender and blitz with all the other dressing ingredients and a pinch of salt and pepper until super-smooth.
- Place 2 teaspoons of oil in a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat. Pick the rosemary leaves into the pan in four piles, place the patties on top and cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until golden.
- Slice or grate the cheese, place on the patties, reduce the heat to low, then cover and leave to melt for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Spread the tomato sauce into the buns, then sandwich the cheesy burgers and sliced gherkins inside.
- Toss the salad with half the dressing (save the rest for another day), serve alongside the burgers and enjoy – totally awesome.
Source: Jamie Oliver