“Filled with grilled veg, cumin-fried black beans and fresh coriander, and baked until bubbling and golden, this Mexican classic is super comforting ”
- 2 red or yellow peppers
- 2 corn on the cob
- olive oil
- 1 x 400g tin black beans
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 spring onions
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander , (30g)
- 1 lime
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 x 400g tin quality plum tomatoes
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 70 g mature Cheddar cheese
- 40 g feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6. Place a griddle pan over a high heat to get smoking hot.
- Halve and deseed the peppers, then add to the griddle with the corn. Grill for 8 to 10 minutes, or until charred and bar-marked, turning occasionally. Remove to a plate to cool.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium frying pan over a medium heat. Drain and add the black beans, stir in the cumin and fry for 4 to 5 minutes, or until crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Once cooled, cut the corn kernels away from the cob and chop the peppers into 1.5cm chunks. Reserving 1 tablespoon of the corn, add to a large bowl with the peppers and black beans.
- Trim, finely slice and add the spring onions, reserving a small handful to one side. Deseed, finely slice and add the chilli. Pick and add most of the coriander leaves, reserving the stalks.
- Squeeze in the lime juice and season well with sea salt and black pepper.
- Wipe the frying pan clean with kitchen paper, then return to a medium heat with 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Peel and finely slice the garlic and finely slice the coriander stalks, then add to the pan for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes and ½ a tin’s worth of hot water, breaking up the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes, or until thickened and reduced.
- Season to taste, carefully transfer to a liquidiser and blitz until smooth.
- Divide the vegetable mixture between 8 corn tortillas and roll them up. Line them up in a snug-fitting baking dish (roughly 20cm x 30cm), with the scruffy ends tucked underneath.
- Pour over the tomato sauce, coarsely grate the Cheddar on top and crumble over the feta.
- Drizzle with a little oil, then pop in the hot oven for 25 minutes, or until bubbling and golden.
- Serve scattered with the reserved corn, spring onion and coriander leaves. Delicious with a crisp green salad.
Source: Jamie Oliver